Monday, April 28, 2008

Sticker shock and knicker drop

I was walking along a pretty industrial looking main drag in the evening last week when I started to notice the shops I was passing were car dealerships. I guess real estate is so dear that even high priced car dealerships can’t afford much in the way of space. Each of these only had three or four cars, but I walked by dealerships offering Bentleys, Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Maseratis and Lotus’. I was of course arrested by the fact that it would take twenty years to earn enough to buy a car like that. And naturally I would have to then live in said car for the rest of my life. But they look really nice. The new Ferrari looks a lot like the car in Ferris Bueller’s day off, so I am thinking about stealing it and playing hooky from work driving around Chicago. The street was basically empty as I walked past the cars heading east; an hour later I walked back. It was now about 11:30 at night. I was calmly walking by, minding my own business when this woman shouted out a hello. It is pretty rare that people speak to strangers here, so I was surprised. I turned to look and replied with a pleasant greeting. This woman was smiling at me in a suspicious way, and I noticed that she had garish makeup on: Super red cheeks, bright red lips, deep blue eyeshadow; even in the dark I could see her cosmetology. I thought to myself, she must be one of those tarts that everyone talks about. I kept on walking and noticed a series of women in very high heels and short skirts leaning nonchalantly against the walls of the buildings. I kept walking and one more woman approached me; she asked if I had any change, which I answered in the negative, then she asked if I needed anything. I thought for a moment, and concluded that she probably wasn’t offering a strong sense of vocation or inflation protection or even a nice pair of cufflinks. I kept on walking. Some thirty seconds later another woman stepped up to me and asked in a prim voice “would you like to have a go?” “No thank you,” I replied. It was a pretty innocuous exchange. I guess there’s no relation between the cars and the ladies of the night, except that they both surprised me. The cars because I didn’t think I was in a very posh area and the women because they seemed to have appeared out of nowhere, much like ninjas, except with stiletto heels instead of tabi boots.

2 comments:

Miss Gina said...

Best. Title. Ever.

We were talking about this situation tonight and we were saying that we can totally see you turning down the proposition in your calm and courteous way.

Just Me said...

Funny...reminds me of the time when we were out karaokeing...Those ladies in short skirts sure love you :)