Thursday, April 3, 2008

Banking under the sun

I needed to get a bank account so that I could get paid. I asked around and there are a number of large national banks, and while some people have their preferences, I assume it’s a lot like in Canada where by my reckoning; they’re all kinda the same. Really a lot like political parties I suppose. Is there really that much difference between even an NDP and a PC government? Practically speaking, I doubt it, but ideologically speaking, I still vote and continue to vote NDP. In a similar fashion, I need to perform banking operations, and I doubt that it matters which large corporation sucks away my money in dribs and drabs. So I went to ANZ, which I was told was the best for students and new arrivals, but there was a sign at the door that said they would only see students and travelers for the sake of opening new accounts on Tuesdays from 9 until 11:30. This was at 11:40 on Tuesday so I would have to wait a full week (less the two hours), so I went to the bank across the street from the office, Westpac. The guy who worked with me was very pleasant and entertaining. When I showed him my passport he lit up and said “oh, you have a very famous name!” and when he looked at my birthday, he lit up again and said “oh, you have a very lucky birthday!” I assumed it was because my birthday was on the eighth of august (08/08), but I suppose it’s possible the year has something to do with it, who knows? Anyway, I got a bank account in a foreign land, and was assured that my name and birth were special. I’m sure some numerologist could demonstrate something impressive with my digits (or I suppose a rheumatologist), but for now I’ll be happy with rare appearances to easily impressed bank tellers.

No comments: